Saturday, July 18, 2015

Here We Go - Day 8 & 9 - July 17 & 18

Friday 

Start out Friday morning and I couldn't sleep very well so I woke up tired.

I had my doctors appointment Friday morning for an ultrasound and bloodwork again.  During the ultrasound, she found 21 growing follicles and my estrodiol level was about 960.  If you aren't familiar with IVF...that means that I have 21 sacs of fluid in my ovaries that contain eggs.  Normal people (wish we were normal) produce one egg per month.  The injection drugs I'm on are called stimulants that make my ovaries produce lots of eggs for this process.  So each follicle contains an egg and its growing.  Ideally, we want them to be 18mm which would indicate a mature egg that is ready to be collected and fertilized. So right now, I have 21 potential eggs to be fertilized.  Which is a good thing!  IVF is a numbers game because not all eggs will be mature, not all will fertilize, not all embryos will last the 5 day incubation period before implantation - so the more you have, the better the chances that you end up pregnant!  So yay!  I continue on my current protocol of the menopur (which helps the eggs grow and mature) and centrotide (which prevents ovulation, so the eggs stay in the ovaries until they are collected).

Right now the game plan is to do another ultrasound/bloodwork on Monday in Athens, then probably take the trigger HCG shot (which causes the final maturation of the egg) and then egg collection 36 hours later on Wednesday and then we let them grow for 5 days! Hopefully, things keep according to plan.

After my doctors appointment on Monday, I went to lunch with my teacher buddies. The biomed teachers got together to introduce the new Freshmen Center teacher to the rest of the group.  We had a good time with good conversation!  It just reinforced how excited I am for this school year!!!!

I went home and I wasn't feeling so hot.  I was nauseous, cramping and super tired.  I really didn't' sleep well the night before, so a nap was in order.  Brian got home and we went and did some last minute shopping.  I was excited to find some dresses to wear while we are there because I feel really bloated from all 21 follicles growing and so comfy clothes sounded like a much better idea than jeans.  So we found some clothes and got some last minute things we were missing.  It was nice to just have an evening together.  I did have to do my centrotide shot in the Bass Pro bathroom...that was interesting.  Then we went home so I could do my menopur shot really quick and then head back out. We got home for the night at about 11 and then stayed up till 3 finishing packing and laundry.   These aren't from last nights shots - but I forgot to post them a few days ago...here is what shot time looks like!  I told Brian I'm getting pretty great at using syringes and he replied with....hmmm..not sure if thats a good thing!


Saturday 

We woke up this morning and Brian started us out right with cinnamon rolls. YUM.  We did the last minute things and then Mom and Dad showed up to take us to the airport.  We got an email that our flight had been delayed.  The original plan was to go from Kansas City to Minniapolis (I asked Brian how to spell that...he said "umm...a lot of nnnn's and an apolis".  Helpful)  then to Amsterdam and finally to Athens.  We were supposed to arrive tomorrow (sunday at 1-ish).

Well flight out of KC delayed enough that we would miss the flight to Amsterdam - so that re-routed our entire itinerary.

New plan, leave KC, go to Atlanta, to Paris then to Athens and we would arrive in Athens at about 2pm.  Okay, not too much different - sounds fine to us.  We were super happy when my checked bag came in at 49 lbs when there is a 50 lbs limit!!!  That was super exciting!!!!  Especially since I packed the whole thing and Brian used to not let me pack because I didn't do it right!  Go me.


This is us before we board for Atlanta.


So we get on the plane and we got assigned the emergency exit spot...look at all this leg room!!! Yeah!!!!


We get over Atlanta and there is bad weather.  We  can't land.  So we hover over the city for 40 minutes.  Enough to be annoying and make us miss our flight to Paris.  So we have to go to the Delta line to get re-routed yet again.  We stand in line for 30 minutes.  We finally get to a lady and she says she can't do international flight changes.  We have to use the phones.

Well that information would have been nice to know BEFORE we stood in line.  So I get on the phone.  And I'm on hold for another 30 minutes.  As she is telling me the new plan, she hits a wrong button and hangs up on me.  There is no redial option.  BAH!

So we give up on the phones and go to the international desk.  We stand in line again.  Finally we have two options.

1 - arrive in Athens at 11:10 pm on sunday
2 - arrive in Athens at 2pm on Monday

Well each has downfalls.  We really didn't want to get there late in Athens because that's when the protesting is occuring.  Ruth and her husband are picking us up and we didn't want them to have to drive up there.  But with option 2, we might miss my scan/blood work apt on Monday and thats not good either!  So since it was 2AM in Athens when we had to make these choices and couldn't call - we went with option 1.

So now we are sitting in Atlanta...waiting for our midnight flight.


A good thing is that we took Cassie's advice and we are getting a small souvenier for the baby at each stop, and so this is the first one from Atlanta.



One thing we have learned in Atlanta is that neither one of us knows how to walk.  I swear, every 10 steps one of us is tripping over our feet.  I think the airport has it out for us.  For now, we will sit and watch a movie until we get to board our flight.

Here's to a safe flight and hopefully no more delays!!!!!!  Athens, here we come...eventually. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment