Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Top-Pusher VS Bottom-Pusher

A common debate in our house is when the toothpaste is actually empty.
Personally, I think that when it gets too difficult to squeeze toothpaste out of the bottle, it's time to throw it away.  Brian on the other hand is the complete opposite.  He will squeeze the dang bottle until there is absolutely nothing left! So a few nights ago we were having the common conversation of me complaining that it was time to get rid of the bottle and he finally agreed!  Moment of success for me!  He then went on to explain how your attitude towards toothpaste could be labeled at being a "top-pusher" or a "bottom-pusher."

Brian is definently a bottom-pusher.  He will use every ounce of toothpaste and will not give up unless he is satisfied with the results of the empty bottle.  I, on the other hand am a top-pusher.  I get enough but I don't think the time invested is worth that last night of toothpaste pushing agony when I have a fresh bottle just down the hall.  Brian then went on to relate it to not only toothpaste, but in all aspects in our lives.  Before I could label Brian as a bottom-pusher, I would often call him a "wanna-be hoarder."  This discovery all stems back to our move from Warrensburg to Grain Valley...

In a move you commonly find items that you haven't looked at in many, many months.  In our apartment we had a coat closet that had the movable white storage like this:
In the bottom drawer we found a few nerf guns.  I had no idea we even had those and Brian didn't know where they came from either. I wanted to trash them and Brian wanted to lug them all the way to Grain Valley for the possibility that they may become useful in the future.  Like i said - wanna-be hoarder.  Anyways, I won the arguement and I got to trash the nerf guns.

I don't like having a lot of excess.  I get rid of anything possible at any time.  I don't like clutter,  I am a very organized person.  If there are piles of paper from the mail, I get rid of them asap.  During the remodel I am constantly cleaning because I don't like the mess it leaves behind. I have a fully devoted top-pusher type of mindset.  Brian does not.  He wants to keep everything just in case he might use it sometime.  He will take things from his parents (ie a meat grinder) and I know we will never use the dang thing, but he thinks we will.  Currently it is sitting in the same box it came in, in our garage.  He will also keep scraps of wood that might be useful or old work jeans that have so many holes and patches in them that I'm surprised they even stay of his hips!  But our differences are what make us unique.  I guess if we agreed on everything, life would get boring.  So here I am, dealing with Brian's bottom-pusher attitude as I slowly throw things away.

So what do you think?  Is it better to be a top-pusher or a bottom-pusher?  Or is there even one way that is better than the other?

I just know what I prefer and to me, throw the dang toothpaste away!

No comments:

Post a Comment