Wednesday, October 31, 2012

When Science Teachers are Stumped...

So today I was inspired to make a blog educating the people of the world on the fact that just because my job title says I am a science teacher; doesn't mean I know everything!  :)

Now, don't get me wrong - if you want to think that I am some super, amazing, extraordinary, crazy intelligent person......go right ahead!!! I will not stop you.  But the truth is that I know a lot about what I have been educated over; but if no one has ever taught me the information or I have not been so inclined to learn it on my own...I probably have little knowledge on a given subject.  My lessons this week have really been an mind opener that I need to be more curious.

This week in physical science we are learning about the States of Matter and Phase Changes.  Now, when I took physical science in high school; we learned about three states of matter - solid, liquid and gas.  The teacher mentioned a fourth state of matter, plasma, but did not go into any great detail on what it was or how it worked.  Well....just like Pluto is not a planet anymore...states of matter change too.  We now know of FIVE states of matter!!! (wouldn't have guessed it would ya??)  They are solid, liquid, gas, plasma and the bose-einstien condensate.  Most kids know the basics of solids, liquids and gases but are really curious about the other two.

So here is what I know and what I tell them.  Plasma is a very high energy state of matter.  It is what all of the stars in the universe are comprised of.  The bose-einstien condensate (BEC) is a type of matter that only occurs near absolute zero (roughly -453oF) and is where a group of atoms will behave as one.  I tell them it is like the school of fish in Finding Nemo - there is lots of little fishies that all act as one single object.  That's it - that is literally all I know about these two states of matter.  Last year when I taught it, I didn't have much time and so I couldn't look up new information and this year I again ran out of time.  (I swear that teaching makes time go by faster than the rest of the world!)  Needless to say, my kids are always curious and I have to try and analyze their questions quickly and think of a logical response but they seem to always get me with a question that I literally have no idea how to answer it.  So I have two responses stored in my back pocket.
  1. That is a great question!  I appreciate your curiosity, but I do not know the answer...which makes this a great opportunity for you to go home and do some of your own research!  When you figure it out...let me know the what you found out!
  2. That is a great question!  I appreciate your curiosity, but I do not know the correct answer...would you like me to make something up so that I can give you an answer?
Both of these responses normally get a few laughs out of the kids and they like that I don't know everything.  I mean, who likes a know-it-all?  I am only human you know....but I can't let the kids see me at the grocery store or gas station - knowing that I do the same daily routine things as them really freaks them out!

Anyways....back on topic.  This whole situation really got me thinking that I need to be more curious!  I need to go back to the basics and ask the questions that the kids will have so that I can be better prepared to answer their questions.  Its been a good reality check that I don't have all the answers and I can always learn more.  Which is actually in really good timing because I start school again next week!

If you did not see my facebook status yesterday; I have signed up for grad school!  It is a cohort program through William Woods University and I will be done the beginning of June 2014.  I will be getting my Masters in Administration.  Even though I am not sure I ever want to be on that side of the desk, I think I will learn a lot and moving horizontally on the pay scale won't be too shabby either!

I hope everyone has a fan-freaky-tastic halloween!!!!!  And don't forget - its never to late to learn something new!

No comments:

Post a Comment